Friday, July 28, 2006

Guests......

My cousins are coming today from KL. Yay! Just last weekend my uncle and his entourage came from Kuantan as he was invited to make a ceramah at Sultan Mosque and now my cousins are here. My friends seem to think that The Don and I have an endless barrage of visitors but we love it! Its part of the Arab culture, I guess. We don't think its an inconvenience at all.

It's a far cry from the attitude of the young today. I hear many stories of newly married couples who have their own house but do not welcome visitors because they "want their privacy". Its almost like they live in fear if anybody should say they wanna come over. As if people have nothing else better to do.

I come from a family where guests are welcome anytime and no effort is spared when entertaining guests. If you had seen the way my Umi cooked for my Uncle and his 2 companions last week, you'd think we were preparing for a buffet. And we Arabs love family gatherings. Thats why the Don and I dun mind travelling 6-7 hours to Pahang /KL /Kuantan just to attend any function our relatives have or merely just to catch up and spend a night or two. I'm thankful that despite not marrying an Arab, the Don has assimilated himself into my culture and he enjoys receiving guests just as much as I do. In fact, if I may say so, he is more atuned to my guests and take greater effort to make them comfortable than I do. Alhamdulillah.

It's been some time since my cousins came to Singapore so today I'm gonna scoot off early from work and bring them SHOPPING!!!!! hehehe

9 comments:

naniz said...

It's definitely an Islamic thing to welcome guests with open arms..InsyaAllah rezeki lebih dan mendapat berkat drpdNya. Sad to noe that there are some ppl moaning when they noe their relatives r coming! Their concerns: nanti nak mengemas lepas diorang balik etc.

Anonymous said...

ermmm guilty..

Me was more worried.. "cepat.. kemas..kemas.. So & so nak datang nie" then sibok check bilik mandi, clean, check bilik tidur, kemas, check living room, kemas & clean :)..

InsyaAllah, will change for the better soon :)

shsuya said...

Yeah Salym we do that too sometimes especially when guests come unanounced. But its fun ain't it? Like traffic rush hour! hehes

Musang said...

oh my... kena batang hidung sendiri nih.

i don't mind relatives coming to mom's, because she always welcomes all her guests. and my guests. we serve foods and always invite them to sleep over.

but you don't know my relatives. my long distance relatives.

i wish we were not related.

kesian my mom asyik kena bambu if they come over.

*nangis*

shsuya said...

Musang i noe wat u mean.. some relatives are well, blood sucking. I have some of those too but luckily most of mine have their heads screwed on tight hehe.

shsuya said...

No sheesha in d house!! hehe altho he has flouted the rule twice aredi when my uncles come over. but he confine himself in the study n smoke to his hearts content. I will not pass the invitation to him. Nanti tak abis abis die pi sana isap sheesha n bawak balik asap no no no!!! hehehe

shsuya said...

hehe macam gitu kalu... nanti suda ade baby saya kasi itu baby main itu sheesha sesuka hati die. Biar pecah aman sikit no more sheesha!! Jgn die pi JB ganti ngan yg lebih besar nye sudah !! hehee

Lisa said...

Woah! *steps back many-many*

skit punye kecik font kao eh, jenab?

shsuya said...

Hehe tak tau lah kenapa the font tetiba jadi besau. Nanti ah sikalang wa manyak tak free.. nanti wa free baru wa betulkan .. meanwhile take it as an exercise for ur sleepy eyes. hehehehe