Thursday, December 22, 2005

First Year Post-Mortem

My mom was right all along. Despite having known The Don for 8 years, I learnt more about him this past year than all the 8 years combined. But we are lucky I guess, we have had less fights this past year of marriage than 3 months of our pre-marriage days. The Don is very helpful at home. He often helps with the dishes & laundry and is a great host whenever my family comes for the weekend. And believe it or not, since we have been married, not once have I operated the vacumn cleaner coz that's his dept. I have a warm relationship with my in-laws so no grouses there. My Don's only weakness is food so as long as I keep the dapur berasap, he is one happy man.

Thats not to say everything has been picture perfect. There has been major annoyances and minor skirmishes but above and beyond, I love being married. It has given me a kind of serenity I have never known before and I look forward to every day like the flowers wait for the sunshine.

Still to benefit those waiting the throes of marriagehood and those in their early days yet, I list here the top 10 things I learnt in the first year of my marriage....

1) It seems there's an invisible sign on the ice-tray that says "Your wife will fill it"
2) Forget about any hope of holding the remote control when the husband is at home
3) Avert your eyes away from the television when its commercials time coz the constant channel buzzing can make you go blind.
4) The seat of the toilet is never down. Forget it and your butt will get stuck in the bowl.
5) Its ok to spend all your pay check. Every morning, the husband fairy will put in money in your empty wallet.
6) There is no such thing as "read till you fall asleep". The husband will make sure of that. :)
7) Apologies have to be extracted, sometimes with a plier and a chainsaw.
8) Its fine to stay out late till the MRT ends on a girls' night out. The husband is just a phone call away. And he sends my friends home too :)
9) Whenever you bring up an issue, make sure he cannot find a way to blame it on your PMS.
10) Hint at something you see on a sale long enough and eventually he will buy it for you :)

Happy Anniversary to my friends who are celebrating their anniversaries in Dec too.

4 comments:

naniz said...

thx for ur msg on my blog :)

u noe wat? no. 3 is already happening to me. since i have 3 guys in my house. makes me go dizzy everytime they do that!

no. 9 applies to even a bf-gf relationship right? hehe...

Musang said...

i personally like the advantages of number 5 and 8.

really useful.

~azgerl~ said...

Nice anniversary story there :)

Hehe I guess I am looking forward to my Iffah's first birthday than my second wedding anniversary next year.. but reading ur blog, wutg all the glitzy and glam birthdays and anniversaries ...makes me think again ... Maybe I should think more about dear hubby too .. Hehe :)

Glad you are having a blissful marriage life.. Take care. Lotsa love

Azlina and dear Iffah
www.iffahgerl.blogspot.com

~azgerl~ said...

Oh .. and Sharifah .. Can i link you ?