Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Unveiling



Since the beginning of my pregnancy, everyone has been taking potshots at whether its gonna be a girl or a boy. My sister guessed it was a girl simply because she wanted her daughter to have a friend. My Umi, my mother-in-law as well as as The Don's sister said I looked cheerful and "berseri-seri' (although I certainly felt like a dishrag in the early days) so they said it's gonna be a girl. My father-in-law, whom I never expected to participate in such guessing games, confidently announced it was gonna be a grandson for him. The Don and I reserved our opinions to ourselves although way before I knew I was pregnant, The Don had a dream he was carrying our baby boy. (needless to say his dream freaked me out BAD!!) I was ok with either gender actually although when I went shopping I couldn't help wishing it was a girl when I saw all the beautiful dresses and accessories I could buy if I had a daughter. hehe.

Mathematically speaking (cheh wah! like real aje aku ni!) the probability of our child being a boy was pretty high considering that the Don came from a family of three brothers and one sister and most of his uncles and aunts all had similiar family models. (out of 5 children 4 would be boys!) I am an only child of my mom so no stats there although my dad's side tended to produce quite an even number of girls and boys (I have 8 nieces and 9 nephews!) (confused? never mind!)

Our doc tried to see the gender as early as in our 4th month of pregnancy but our baby was sitting cross legged (sungguh sopan anak aku!) so we left none the wiser. At the next checkup when we did the 3D scan (oh if u are pregnant (or your spouse) do go for the 3D scan!! Its expensive but oh so worth every single cent! The wonders of technology!!!!!) The doctor picked up upon a tiny weeny bit of flesh between his legs and she immediately announced it was a boy. You should have seen the smug on The Don's face!! As we walked out of the Doc's room, he gloated about how his paternal instincts were already up and running. Yada..yada..yada...hehe. Oh and gloat too was what our child's grandfather did, telling my MIL and SIL that they were so so so wrong!! (let's just hope the gloating gene is NOT hereditary!)

Umi however chose not to believe the doc until after the detailed scan we just did last week. Up till then, she still harboured hopes that it was gonna be a girl because she had set her sights on some pretty dresses at Mothercare and so wanted to buy them. Well it was doubly confirmed that it's gonna be a boy so Umi said "never mind..Next one!" (eerrmm...I'm still not sure how I'll get through this one so let's leave talk about 2nd granddchildren til perhaps many many years down the road!)

The unveiling of the sex was marked by great euphoria by everyone around us. Especially ME!!! As soon as we knew the gender (the first time) I went on a shopping spree. At last after many many weeks of going round and round the baby dept not knowing what & which to buy (pink or blue?) Finally I had a whole new purpose to my shopping life. Ok when you think about it, it doesn't quite make sense to buy all things blue since these things are gonna be used by our subsequent children who might be girls but whatever! .. let's worry about subsequent children later. hehe. (Besides, who says boys have to wear blue right? Metrosexual pink anyone? The Don will scream bloody murder if I dress his son in pink and lets him play with Barbie dolls, that I'm 100%sure!)

I have great wonder about people who chose not to know the sex of their child. I mean I respect their personal decision but why not make use of technology when you can? Well.. to each their own I guess. Perhaps The Don and I are just not the kind who likes suprises.

PS: The doctor better not be wrong or else I'll ask her for a refund of all the blue stuff I have bought! hehee

7 comments:

Lisa said...

mak buyong! when u free to book-shop? that book remember???

shsuya said...

hehe joyah takpe kalau kuar gerl i simpan sume yg blue blue tuk ur next one eh ?

shsuya said...

buku eh? ntah eh...... nanti lah aku pi tengok lagi...

naniz said...

I pray your "journey" will be a smooth one InsyaAllah Amin. Lets meet lah!!!

The Misery Chick said...

I WANT A BABY GIRL! :) More fun to shop for. Hehehe.

Anyway my colleague(a new daddy) shared a tip with me abt seeing whether it's gonna be a boy or girl: if the mom looks like shit during pregnancy, then it's a boy. If she's prettier then it's a girl. He got a baby gal. Merepek, kan? U look fine the last time we met.

shsuya said...

Naniz: thank u so much for ur doa. Do plan something so that we can meet soon. (b4 raya!)

Maya: I think there is some truth in it, u know... I certainly dun feel "pretty" the way some ppl carrying girls feel they do. And I'm soooo lazy during this pregnancy. Dun feel like lifting a finger for anything. Thank God for my hubby and mom!!

Lisa said...

eh but u no look bad either.

*standbys pom-pom n do warm ups*