Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Raya Wishes Fulfilled!!!

I approach raya this year with somewhat apprehension. My first worry was finding clothes that will fit me for Raya, then I started worrying about getting raya-worthy (read: bling-bling) shoes and ditching the boring totally flat totally black Bonia pumps I have been wearing the whole of my pregnancy. And then came the anxiety that this raya won't be much of a raya since I won't have enough energy to bake any cookies and won't make it through the normally 6 hour car ride to Pahang, Malaysia to meet my relatives there. (it normally takes 6 hours to get there but could possibly stretch to 10 hours due to massive jam)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting I'm happy to say that with the exeption of the last wish, everything else was fulfilled! *grin* Rummaging through my cupboard I realised I have a black beaded abaya (arab robe) Umi bought for me when she went for Haj two years back. It's long and flowy and way too big for me when she bought it so it has remained stashed away literally untouched in my cupboard. But with my now egg-shaped tummy, it looks just nice for me. All I needed to do was get a matching black baju melayu for the Don and we're ready for Hari Raya!!! One problem solved! I fell in love with another similiar abaya in red with very intricate sequin detailing at the most unlikeliest of places - the Geylang bazaar (and very cheap too!!) and voila! My baju raya problem was solved. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Despite being like ayam-kena-sembelih for most of the Ramadhan, I found Herculean strength in the last two weeks to make my usual die-die-must-do raya favourites of cornflakes honey and pineapple tarts and even baked biskut suji & pistachio butter cookies. (although I was under strict instructions from the Don to only make for personal consumption and stop being Mrs Santa Clause!) And my dear friend M baked for me my favourite Choc Chip Walnut Cookies !!!!
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This year's raya was special in its own way, I guess. One especially touching gesture was when my father-in-law went to the midnight lelong at the Geylang Bazaar and bought for me a whole stash of "kuih tunjuk" (ready made cookies) as he thought I was too pregnant to make my own cookies. Among the ones he bought were the much talked about kuih tembikai and mama carries. Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So from the worry of no kuih, I think I ended up with more kuih than last year raya. Hehe.

I was quite dissapointed though that we didn't manage to travel to Pahang. This year's raya was less special since I didn't get to feel the "kampung atmosphere" and eat my favourite lemang and rendang but with my heartburns, inability to sit for long due to the vigorous movements of Baby Muhammad, and hearing the horror stories from my cousins being in 20 hour drive to get from Kota Bahru to KL (normally 8hrs) and my uncle in 6 hour drives from Kuantan to KL (it's normally 2hrs), I guess we made the right decision. After all, we have a whole lifetime of rayas to go back to Pahang for. Insya'allah.

8 comments:

naniz said...

You'll be surprised how much nice baju u can get at Geylang. Especially Pasar Geylang. Bought most of my jubah there and it's way cheaper and comfy than Hejab Iran!

Kalau gini nak kena dtg rumah u lah, kuih tembikai, suji and mama carries tu fv i! ehehe...

take care!

Anonymous said...

didnt know they dont have lemang and rendang there,so what do malays usually eat on raya?
then again,it has been ages since i last had my lemang,but the rendang part,i manage to make it myself.

shsuya said...

Kure2: due to space constraints ppl here do not bakar lemang. Instead they eat lontong (a variation of nasi impit) and/or ketupat with lodeh & sambal tumis and sambal goreng. http://static.flickr.com/46/136860470_5d2e4b9c69_m.jpg

But to me, raya is never complete w/o my lemang. *sob sob*

Amacam rendang masak sendiri ? sedap ke ?

Anonymous said...

Hi Dear

Selamat Hari Raya.. Wah.. still got the last few months to go rite?

Kayuh pelan2. Me, was pregs during the 1st babe and was serving pantang for the 2nd babe. Yeah, Hari Raya, was very meaningful for me as a mommy :).

Take Care.. God Bless
Saly

Anonymous said...

Naniz:Takkan lah pasal kuih favorit u, baru nak dtg beraya..ish ish ish
Eh tahun ni kuih apa u buat?
Mana tau ada kuih fav....hahah

naniz said...

> M, ish tak lah...ada kuih favourite tu bonus! hehe...sambil borak, makan kuih :p

Anonymous said...

rendang masak sendri?hehe sedap aa,nengok aa sape masak,hehe
tapi sayang,takde kerisik.

edwardohacke said...

The Best 3D FUTUR Blackjack for Real Money | Titanium Art
Try titanium nitride bolt carrier group your luck titanium automatic watch on classic game of luck. In addition to these blackjack games, the aftershokz trekz titanium games have gaggia titanium been designed titanium trim for the players of all ages. In the