Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Ramadhan With A Difference!!!!

I felt very different this time last year. I looked forward like an eager beaver last year to the fasting month not just because it was the first time I would be breaking fast with The Don as his wife but also because it was the chance for me to hone my culinary skills with new recipes come weekends. And Ramadhan was bliss what with the times we went for Terawih prayers at Ba'alwie and the many many times we went around Geylang and Town looking for new household stuff & clothes for Hari Raya.

This year Ramadhan & Raya is much much more subdued. Apart from the obvious ie: the inability to splurge since the baby is on the way (bye bye new curtains and the new dining table!), I have also very very limited energy. (Did I mention I feel like I swallowed a watermelon?) Looks like there will be minimal baking this year (just the usual pineapple tarts and cornflakes cookies which The Don loves to bits) and very minimal shopping (hur! hur!)

So far we've been to the Kg Glam Bazaar once (and trust me there is no need to go there again!) and once to Geylang. I might need to go to Geylang one more time since both The Don and I didn't find any clothes we fancy the first time. But I guess that will be it. Usually 4 trips is the absolute minimum for me. OOhh I'm such a goody girl this year!

Usually I reach home from work less than an hour before breaking fast and after a whole day in the office, all I have the energy for is a short 15 min nap before I start preparing for breaking fast. (Thank god for Umi cooking if not we'd probably eat take-out or fried rice/noodle every single day! hehe!) After Maghrib, The Don usually leaves for the mosque alone. Before you know it, its the end of the day and then its bedtime before we have to wake up for sahur.

I do make an effort to cook on weekends however but instead of my zest to try out new recipes, I usually stick to the tried and tested. One reason is that since I have been pregnant, my tastebuds have somewhat changed. Everything tastes tasteless to me and when I cook, I tend to overdo the salt bit. There have been many times when The Don takes one bite then spit it out again hehehe. As a result this fasting month, I become overly cautious when I cook and refrain from trying out anything new in case it turns out disastrous.


Still, I managed to cook some of the Don's and mine favourites.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Roasted Chicken
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Mee Soto

What shall I cook this weekend? Let's see... Roti Jala ?? hhhmmmm......I wonder what Ramadhan and Raya will mean for us next year when we have a kid in tow. More grande than last year maybe ? I guess we'll have to wait and see.....

7 comments:

Lisa said...

org uwe-uwe kata kalau masakan masin tu... nak kahwin lagi. heehee

tahun depan kalau geng kita jalan raya, siap nanti aku cubit2 anak kau. *rubs hands in glee*

naniz said...

he actually spit out?! it must be extremely salty! hehe!
now i cant wait for next year's raya! best nya...i simply adore baby boys! excied nya!!!
take care k?

shsuya said...

---> Lisa: masin nak kahwin lagik eh ???? hehe
Nanti anak kau cakap "Aunty Esah! Stop pinching me If not I bite you!!!!"

-->Naniz: A ah kau I betul nye pemasin recently. I makan rilek aje. Pada I its just nice. Umi n Don makan mcm nak terbegik. hehe

Musang said...

ya allah... gambar roasted chicken tue...

laparnya.

*nangis sambil panggil emak*

Anonymous said...

mmm soto,nyam nyam
but kinda prefer with nasik himpit rather than mee,and dont forget the bergedil
nyam nyam

Lisa said...

anak aku??? aik? aku cuma ade anak sedara je ah.

=P

Lisa said...

rajinnye amir. tolong ummi lap ye?

ummi lap atas, amir lap bahagian bawah. heehee