Thursday, December 21, 2006

Moo Moo Here... Moo Moo There.....

Have you any idea how frustrating it is to wake up every day, look through the papers, see all the advertisements of the year-end sales, Christmas sales, warehouse sales, member sales, scrutinise till my eyes glaze over then realise I'm still in confinement and I'm stuck at home for at least 2 more weeks?????? (In case you are wondering yes I am pantang-ing very strictly. No leaving the house except for doctor's appointments only) That does not include the multitude of sale brochures and invites I get in the mail!!! AAAARRRGGHHHH !!!! Why did I ever wanted a December baby???? My next child I will plan for an October baby so that by Dec, I'd be past confinement but still be on maternity leave. By then I'd have a accumulation of my pay and plus my bonus I'd be in prime position for shopping. I guess I'd be the first woman planning my family according to the shopping calendar. WAIT!!!!!! Did I say NEXT CHILD????? OOooppps that was totally not the opening para I wanted to write but well.......

Today marks a month since we have been blessed with the arrival of Double M. And also a month since I have been breastfeeding him exclusively. I have always been determined to breastfeed my children, probably as soon as I found out I wasn't breastfed as a child. I always wondered if I would have been so sickly with asthma as a child if I had been breastfed.

My breastfeeding "adventure" started relatively fuss-free. My gynae is pro total bf and totally encouraged our decision. We had the baby room in with us all the time and The Don joked that we were robbing Double M's chances of getting to know the girls in the nursery. The nurses were all bf-trained so they helped with the latching on when I had intial problems.

Things were prety smooth from there. There were moments of tears definitely, especially in the middle of the night when the baby refuses to latch (I called in an LC for a house visit to check on my latching technique just to be sure) and when his drop in birth weight was so apparent I feared he was malnourished. (he has since gained his birth weight and more) The lowest point of my breasfeeding adventure was last week when a blocked duct had me shivvery and feverish for two whole days and my breast was like a red, hot throbbing brick. My mother panicked looking at me in that state but alhamdulillah with lots of feedings, the situation resolved on its own without the need to stop or suspend breastfeeding. It certainly helped that we have a very co-operative baby and that I have an abundant milk supply Alhamdulillah. He hardly cries and is an efficient drinker. As early as the end of the first week, he was already sleeping through the night with his last feeding at 1am and the next one at 6.30am or so.

I must say reading on breastfeeding during my pregnancy has helped me a lot in anticipating and resolving problems when they arised. (the best of which is this one) But no amount of reading beats having a supportive husband who shares your determination with as much grit and committment. There were times when I feared my son wasn't getting enough milk, and suggested we supplement him with formula but The Don resisted and encouraged me not to give up. It was also a huge help when my two aunts (one has 5 kids the other has 6 and ALL their kids were exclusively breastfed till the age of 2)came to visit from Malaysia and stayed almost a week each. Their tips and pointers could have filled a book. (P.S Did you know that you could be watching tv in one room and your child could be sleeping in another but you would know when your child will be awake even before he cries out as your breasts would start to tingle. Amazing huh?)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ok enough of my cow story. Now here's another cow story. The Don is arranging for the aqiqah of his son in Pahang at my uncle's. And while usually people slaughter goats (2 for boys 1 for girl) The Don wants to slaughter a cow instead. So together with a few other cousin's children aqiqah, a cow will be downed on 20th January 2007. My uncle is handling all the details of the kenduri that will be held. So far, we heard there will be another cukur rambut for Double M and 500 people have been invited and tents will be erected all along the road leading to my uncle's house. *rolls eyes* Trust my uncle to hold to hold the ceremony with such grandosity.

So till my next update .Mooooooooooooo

4 comments:

~azgerl~ said...

.. sorry to hear bout your blocked ducts n fever. I didn't have it myself but I do hear of others who do and it sounds really painful.Well, breastfeeding is really tough at first but it will be soo ez later. Travelling is so hassle free without bottles!

But hey you are very lucky to have ur baby sleep thru so early :) At one month, my bb was only starting to sleep at night!! ( initially she was sleeping in the day and awake at night )

Insya Allah all your efforts in breastfeeding will reap rewards. Iffah is totally bfed for 22 mths now and I think she has got the cold cum fever less than 5 times. Its really less of a headache n heartpain when our dearest bb hardly falls sick.

Anyway, hangin there... in the meantime, there is always online shopping :)

The Misery Chick said...

I told my mom that bf-ing moms remind me of cows with their engorged boobs. She smacked me, "are you calling ME a cow?" she asked.

"Erm, no...." I replied. "But those other women remind me of cows."

Lame reply, I know.

shsuya said...

az: less than 5 times?? that sure makes all the blocked ducts n fever worth it.

Maya: tell me abt it. Half the time I do feel like a cow. Moooooo hehehe

~azgerl~ said...

yup ...macam hingus meleleh etc tu lebih than 5 times biasalah.. tapi kalau nak cakap pasal demam merengek kena makan panadol , kena lap lap ..baby tak boleh tidur mak tak boleh tidur etc ...terbatuk batuk ada phlegm jarang lah... agaknya so far i think tiga kali demam cos of the common flu./cough..and one more time cos of stomach flu ( tu time wabak a few months ago )

Insya Allah, lebih senang jaga. sakit mesti ada ..tapi kurang .:) yup ...its worth ur initial pain