Friday, January 05, 2007

Grab, Snatch & RUN!!!!!!

Today I felt a feeling I have never felt before. I have always read the description of feeling "your stomach turn inside out" but since I can't imagine what that felt like, I dismiss it as an author's fanciful way with words. Today I knew exactly what it felt like to have my stomach turn inside out.

Today I watch my precious boy being given his 1st month vaccination the hepaptitis 2nd jab at Baby Bear clinic. I was chatting animatedly with the doctor about Double M's input and output levels and was feeling just fine but as soon as the doc retrieved his syringe and placed it on his table in front of me, I swear my stomach and intestines did a backflip. He asked me to hold Double M on my lap while he administered the jab on his thigh. Somewhere inside my heart and head, I seriously considered getting up and leaving the clinic. I felt I was surrendering my child to be slaughtered (mentang mentang musim Aidiladha) For the record, Double M let out a loud squeal as the doc inserted the needle in his thigh but as soon as I carried him, he promptly fell asleep as if nothing happened.

I know it sounds silly (as I know my single friends will be rolling their eyes and sighing in disbelief that this friend of theirs have lost her mind and is a bucketful of emotions now) and even I didn't know I will feel this way. I am usually a hardy person and is not easily intimidated by any bloody show. (and to think there was hardly any blood just now. What if there were?) Perhaps it's a mother's protective instincts or am I just being a paranoid mom? I wonder how I'll make it through seeing my son being circumsized next month. Let's just hope I don't grab, snatch and run.

6 comments:

Musang said...

next month?!

sunat next month?! but he's a small baby!!

*pengsan*

Anonymous said...

mummy paranoia???i know of a few mummys who can be ur new best fenz ;)

shsuya said...

yup sunat nxt mth.. its easier to heal while he's still young....besides its easier to care for. no kain pelikat tent to carry around....


sorry application counter closed. I have enuff best frens to last a lifetime aredi. besides if i makes frens with other paranoid mommies, I'll be even worse. so better surround myself with sane ppl n sensible mothers hehe

Lisa said...

astaghfirullah hal azim.

where are you sending baby M for circumcision? tell me now. i go see the doctor and tell him to prepare form. "For medical, safety, logical, practical, sensible & sanity reasons, the baby will not be accompanied with his (paranoid) ummi throughout the process"

heehee

shsuya said...

tulah umi cakap i better not see the circumcision but aku nak!!!!..... aku always curious abt circumcision hehe

Anonymous said...

Zaman sekarang circumcision is very safe even for older kids. My son was circumcised at age 6, I think. They put him to sleep before doing the op. He's allowed to leave only after he pees. He went for the op in his pants and came back in his pants. Tak payah pakai sarong pun.

Time dulu, kat situ jugak dia gunting my foreskin. Mata masih terbeliak/blolok. Tak kasi tido pun. Mak ai... rasa macam nak pekik ala Lord of the Jungle aja. Hahah.

But yes, the younger they are when circumcised, the faster they heal. However, hospitals like KKH don't usually prefer to do it on newborns... and with a pretty valid reason. If there was an infection and the newborns are in pain, how do they tell the parents about it? They'll just keep crying and we would probably think the baby's just hungry or something. It's happened before I guess. That's probably why they take the precaution.

I think it's highly unlikely though that newborns get infection because they're usually cleaned up real quick when they pass urine or defecate. And as long as they're clean, there shouldn't be a problem.

Whatever it is, may your child have a speedy recovery.

PS: I wasn't there when they circumcised my son. My wife was. She's the tough one.