Monday, January 10, 2005

Marital Bliss


Thats the wedding ring being placed on my finger by THE DON. Its a heart shaped diamond ring in a solitaire setting. And that ring at the bottom of the photo is my diamond solitaire engagement ring.

It took a while to sink in that I am now married. It wasn't quite obvious when we were in Paris (oops I promised an entry on Paris) coz it was just the two of us and we were having so much fun. Since we got back, there has been quite a few times when I actually forgot I am now ALREADY married to him. Sometimes he reaches out to hold my hand or put his arms around me and I instinctively pull away when there is someone else in sight. It takes a glance at the shiny shimmery stone on finger for me to recall, "HEY WE'RE MARRIED NOW" and I slink into his arms. So now you know why we girls need our wedding rings to be huge ...hehehe

Anyway married life has been bliss. We look forward to each new day like we never did before and we can't wait to end the work day so that we can be together again. The Don has been sending and fetching me to and from work every day since he had a car (since 5 years ago) but now that we are married, waking up in the mornings, getting ready, having breakfast together, leaving for work together and seeing him sitting in the car waiting for me at the office porch at the end of the day, brings a whole new feeling altogether. I was kinda afraid the honeymoon would end when we boarded the plane at Charles De Gaulle Airport, Paris but alhamdulillah, it seems like we are on extended honeymoon.

Sadly however, the honeymooning will have to take a short break. From tomorrow onwards (till the end of January) The Don will be on reservist in-camp-training *sob**sob* so I'll get to see him only on weekends. And today he's off to KL to settle outstanding matters regarding his Malaysian company. Well, absence makes the heart grows fonder. (or so they say... I wonder if it's true)

Married life has been simply splendid so far, despite the ironing and the cooking and the laundry(uurrgh!!) (of course it helps having my mom staying part time with us, when she's around I dun have to cook) And The Don has been very helpful. When he sees me busy, he helps out and he does it well so I dun have to go over and re-do it. (unlike most husbands, I've heard)

Despite what I've heard, having parents-in-law (in particular mom-in-law) ain't difficult at all. Alhamdulillah The Don's mom is very understanding and extremely flexible. His dad is rather reserved initially but once he warms up, he is chatty and is a great conversationalist. Truly I feel that instead of getting parents-in-law I have actually acquired another set of parents. It does help, of course that The Don and I put in the effort to make time to spend with both sides of the family throughout the years. Especially when we brought both sides of the family together. During the wedding, everyone knew everybody. That was what made the wedding even more joyous.

Since we came back from Paris, we've been doing our rounds to all the elders. So far we have covered most of my Singapore side of the family and half of The Don's side. The visits we have had were mighty interesting. Everyone seemed soo happy to receive us and almost every house we went to prepared lavish amounts of food and had huge gifts for us. So far, in our post-marriage rounds alone we have received a toaster, a sandwich maker, pyrex sets, a oven toaster, an electric kettle, a spice rack, a silverware set and a whole set of buffet food warmers. Not to mention numerous tudungs, telekungs, sejadahs and even silk material and of course cash. As The Don puts it, "Your side give presents meant for you, my side also give presents meant for you" hehehehe the privileges of being a woman.....

For the wedding too we received a great deal of presents. Mostly crystals as my family know I like things bling-bling. So we have a crystal glass set (courtesy of my cousin Safiah), a crystal bowl set (courtesy of Mahanom) a whole fine porcelain dinner and tea set (courtesy of my cousin Kak Ida and Abg Wan), 3 other dinner sets and numerous other tea sets and kitchen ware. Not to mention the dozens of tudungs, materials and bedsheets. We could really open a shop with all the things we have got.
From my dearest Kak Ida & Abg WanFrom my best fren Mahanom.

No comments: