Wednesday, August 24, 2005

BACK TO SCHOOL - partie une

Yesterday was the day my Don gave his speech to the graduating students of his alma mater. The plan was such that My Don, being the main speaker, was supposed to address the whole batch of graduting class. Afterwhich they will all break up into their own classes and other motivators (ex-students who are a success in life in one way or another) will take on one class and mingle with them. Allowing them to get up-close & personal and ask any questions they wanted.

We arrived at his old school a few minutes after 6 and from below we could hear the teacher addressing the students. The other motivators had not arrived so The Don was quite pleased, thinking he will have a few more minutes to compose himself and try to recall his speech (He forgot to bring his prepared speech so he had to rely 100% on memory)But alas, the moment we came into view of the teacher on stage, Mr Raja, told the students
Ok Everybody, turn around and look behind you. The man you see walking towards you now is an ex-student. He is now a very successful man. He has his own I.T company and even has a company in Malaysia. He has very kindly made time to come to speak to you today. Please clap your hands and welcome Mr *DON* on stage"

So much for time to compose himself. Before he himself knew it, he was holding the mike on stage and some 300 students were looking up at him, open-eyed and eager to hear his speech. Thank god my Don did great. He did manage to recall most of the speech I wrote for him although the order was a bit jumbled. And boy, did I beam with pride !!!

They then broke up into their own classes and while two of the other motivators were assigned one class, The Don was given one to himself. All this while I was busy chatting with one of the teachers Mrs Jaya. I was just about to excuse myself and take the opportunity to roam around the school when one of the teachers, Ms Vena, approached me and asked if I were willing to talk to the girls in her class. She said she thought I could just give them words of encouragement and perhaps offer an advice or two. To say I was shell-shocked would be an understatement. I wasn't from this school and I was completely at a blank on what to say to them. To refuse her would have been ungracious so I (very) hesitantly said I'd try my best. I was there to give emotional support to my hubby but ended up being a motivator as well.

She got the girls together, and introduced me as "The Don's wife". (what a great start!) The girls were a sweet lot. They look so naive and innocent I was half afraid I'd corrupt their minds instead of motivate them. But I did the best I could anyway. I told them a little bit about myself and asked about them. Before long, they had opened up to me and the questions started coming. The part that intrigued them the most was how I met The Don. (ok we met in The Don's old school) but I managed to steer them away from a potential BGR talk to their studies. (Thank God!)

I had a great time and I hoped the girls did too. The girls warmed up enough to ask if they could contact me directly. For fear of non-stop ringing of my handphone I gave them my email instead.

There will be another session on Thursday. This time I will make sure The Don comes prepared and this time I will make sure I stay in the shadows. Still I was glad The Don had this opportunity to contribute to his school and I sure hope the kids were inspired in one way or another.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

*clap clap*

Wah tahniah awak kerana telah mengahwini seorang lelaki yang berjaya. And awak pun steady lah. Pandai awak melayani mereka mereka. Kalau kita lah, mesti gabrah. Betul. Kita pemalu. Wahaha.

Tapi bagus jugak itu sekolah ada jemput ex-student to give speech. Kita wonder apasal sekolah lama kita tak panggil kita buat speech eh? Kita pun success jugak. Success in cabut sekolah, datang lambat, detention etc. Wahahaha.

Lisa said...

tak bawak speech? jgn-jgn die dah hafal tak? cuma eksyen lupa jer... heehee

shsuya said...

Don and I sekolah sebelah sebelah lah ... dulu die janji padang berapi sekolah die pun sanggup die harungi supaya dpt bersama2 I hehehehehe so jiwang !!!

shsuya said...

Lynn u kasi tau I u sekolah mana.. nanti I contact principal u suggest kat die panggil u dtg buat speech... title speech die "What not to do in school - spoken from real experience" hehehehhe sure sell-out punya

shsuya said...

Lisa ---> mmg die tak hafal pun... thats why semalam paksa die baca sampai hafal. Penat aku tulis tau

Musang said...

you should give me an encouragement speech...

i want to be back to my old self.