Friday, August 19, 2005

The Slap That Almost Happened

My best friend is was in retail and she has numerous times mentioned again and again that I am every salesperson's nightmare. When she has had a horrendous customer she will call me to let off steam and her first words would be "I had a YOU today" hehehe.

Its not that I am an arrogant or nit-picking customer (ok a bit of that too, I guess) but I value service. I get instantly fuming mad when
  • a salesperson follows me around and watches me with hawk-like eyes almost like waiting for me to steal something from their store
  • a salesperson practices racial discrimination and serves someone else other than me even though it is rightfully my turn
  • I get "If-I-like-it-I-do=it" service with a face that looks worse than the rag I use to wipe spills on the floor.

    Some of you would recall the incident I had with that swensen's girl sometime last year. I still see that woman everytime my office colleagues and I decide to go for lunch there. I haven't forgotten her and neither has she. She avoids one on one contact with me but when she comes to our table she makes it a point to be more pleasant.

    I had a similiar incident in KL last week. We were looking for furniture for a business premise The Don had just acquired and the nearest place was Mines Resort City. There was this new furniture mega mall on the top most floor so we decided to try to see if we could get the chairs we wanted there. As we walked in a young Malay girl accosted us. I didn't quite get a good look at her face as I was busy keeping up with The Don who was walking in front of me and on the line (as usual) She asked in a nice squeaky voice what we were looking for. I told her we were looking for chairs. She amused me for a minute by asking in detail what kinda chairs we wanted. I was vague since I honestly didn't quite know what kind we wanted so I thought it was best to look around first. By this time I was quite pissed off by the way she followed me around like a sick puppy and giving a commentary on every item i approached. So I told her "OK terima kasih. Biar saya jalan tengok tengok dulu. Kalau saya perlukan bantuan saya mintak ok" Then she began her tirade much to my disbelief.
    Oh takpe kak, kita kat sini mmg kena bagi service kat customer. (I roll my eyes) Tapi kita kat sini tak jual kerusi macam yang kakak cakap tu. Kat sini kita cuma jual kerusi standard standard aje. Takpe kakak tengok tengok dulu, kalau kakak berkenan kakak cakap. Kalau kakak tak mampu kakak boleh buat bayaran ansuran selama 12 bulan. Kalau kakak government staff kakak boleh dapat tanpa cengkeram etc etc etc....."

    By this time I was staring at her face. Stare maut punya. Bloody bitch of the lowest pedigree. How dare she as much as insinuate that I could not afford the things there. I was beside myself with anger. I was about to scream and make a scene when I kinda caught myself. The thing I most wanted to do at that moment was to give her a tight slap. But I looked at her in the eye and told her in my most calm voice "GET LOST" and a few other expletives I dun think she even understood. She cowered away and made herself invisible immediately. I yanked My Don (who's ear was still attached to his earpiece so he missed everything) out of the shop, made him end his conversation and let it all out to him till his ears went red. He laughed out loud and said I should have told her I could afford the store with her in it as well. I can't believe the audacity of that piece of low-life. I bet you she says the same thing to every customer who walks in like a tape-recorder but someone better teach her to learn to size up her customers first before she opens her gap. On normal occasions, I would have lost my temper and started a tirade of my own on her but somehow that day I felt I'd just be wasting my breath. On hindsight maybe I should have. Maybe I should go down on of these days, let her do her routine then give that tramp a piece of my mind. Maybe not.

    In any case, since then, I have had to endure jibes from the Don "kalau kakak tak mampu......." UUURRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 7 comments:

    Lisa said...

    LOL! "kalau kakak tak mampu..."

    kang ade jugak yg kena rembat dgn penyapu.

    The Misery Chick said...

    Shsuya, Shsuya. Relax, gal. She's doing her job, but I admit her tailing you around is annoying. I received such "treatment" too. I politely told her tt I'd call her if I need her. More tailing and yapping. I said the same thg.

    More tailing and yapping. I told her FIRMLY to lay off. I shd've exploded but I was a sales promoter once, so I kept my temper in check. But I NEVER tail and yap incessantly when I was a promoter.

    Lynn said...

    I know how that feel! It's very irritating kan. Kalau doing her job pun tak kan sampai nak suggest "kalau tak mampu"? If me, I tak ingin nak tengok tengok lagi. I angkat kaki terus jalan!

    About the mug tu kan, I tak kisah ada gambar ke takde gambar. As long as the size is right. But I feel the excitement to search for it dah died :( instead I bought a grill pan today :D nak eat healthy lah konon wahaha.

    naniz said...

    LOL!! it wld be so tempting to give that slap kan? hehe..sabar..sabar.

    i went to metro causeway pt last week to get some boardgames, n i had to scan almost each n every item cos it doesnt have any price tag. helpful dat they have dat scanner but annoying!!!

    Dilip Mutum said...

    Thats what these stingy businessmen get when they hire people who didn't even finish school and don't provide any training on customer service. Thats why I go to Ikea. ;-)

    shsuya said...

    I think thats exactly it Adam. After my anger dissipated, I realised she probably thought she was doing a good job - on her feet the whole day, volunteering information (too much, no doubt) and telling the customer what she has been taught to say. Sadly she hasn't had any idea to say how much to whom and when. Maybe I should slap the boss instead.

    Musang said...

    maybe you should slap the boss and say right to his face... "akak mampu occay!!"

    hahahhak, kelakar gila.