Friday, August 05, 2005

A Walk Down memory Lane

This blog has been sorely neglected. No I have not lost interest in blogging. Neither am I lost for words to blog. (hah!) I have just been simply busy. Busy to the point of utter exhaustion. So much so, even the idea of updating my blog honestly is too energy taxing, what more actually getting down to doing it. Besides, every Friday night, we are usually off to KL and we usually reach Singapore in the wee hours of Monday morning. The rest of the week is spent in a frantic rush and before we know it its Friday again.

This time round it's gonna be at a slower pace on account of the National Day holidays. We'll have more time to spare in KL and hopefully cover more ground. There are many things I wanna do in KL but I haven't found the time yet. At the top of my list is to go down memory lane......

My late father used to have a company in KL and during school holidays, we'd spent a lot of time in KL, before going elsewhere for our vacation. So I have a myriad of memories there. And while most of KL have changed, some things are still around.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comBack then there were no KLCC or Bintang Walk. The hippest shopping centres were Pertama Complex, Sungai Wang & Parkson. My dad had a thing for Globe Silk Store along Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman (last I heard it has been replaced by Kamdar) It was an all-under-one-roof dept store and more importantly it was CHEAP! We went there every single time we went to KL, that place is forever imprinted in my mind. I can still recall the slightly musty smell of clothes (of being stored too long in a warehouse I'm sure) and the blind pianist sitting outside the main entrance displaying his very limited talent and repertoire.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Then there is the most sophisticated shopping centre in KL at that time THE MALL at Jalan Putra. Directly opposite Pan Pacific Hotel. The best part about that place was the indoor theme park on the top floor called Starlight Express. (Is it still there??)The best ride there was the Matterhorn, this contraption which looks like a modified version of a merry-go-round. It was a heart-thumping ride (well for a young girl of seven like me, at least) but I loved it soo much I'd take it a few times in a row.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The greatest memory however is this cheap hotel in Jalan Masjid India. Chamtan Hotel. Whenever we were in KL, we'd stay at one of my uncle's house. (I have many, many relatives in KL so accomodation has never been a problem) but during the time of the big flood in Kampung Bahru this was the only hotel that was willing to take us in. My uncle's and aunt's rented abode at Kampung Bahru was under seige at that time and the whole street was submerged, leaving not just us roofless but also, my aunt, uncle and their whole group of neighbours. It was in December, a festive season and no hotel had 5 rooms to spare. The only hotel that was willing to take us all in was Chamtan Hotel, a 2-star no-frills hotel. It wasn't seedy at all. In fact for a 2-star hotel I guess it was quite standard. And while I'd dun think I wanna get a room there now, I'd love to visit that place again.

Hopefully, we'll have time to do my walk down memory lane.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

take lotsa pics! =)

Anonymous said...

Wow, memory lane huh? Very sentimentel. Have fun while there.

My memory lane is Marina Square Shopping Centre. Eheheee... BUT! It's totally different now from my early days. No more memory :(

PS. Maybe I should blog about this someday...

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog and I figured you'd be interested in advancing your life a bit, call us at 1-206-339-5106. No tests, books or exams, easiest way to get a Bachelors, Masters, MBA, Doctorate or Ph.D in almost any field.

Totally confidential, open 24 hours a day.

Hope to hear from you soon!

shsuya said...

ahahaahahaha i guess this anon has sooo much time in his hands. i wonder how many blogs he has left a msg like this.....

Wan Mohd Fahimi said...

haha... you've been really busy shopping have you? hi shsuya... quite sometime since i last came in here. been really busy, really. how's married life? any chance danish gonna get a friend this year or early next year? haha...
take care.

Lisa said...

hahahaha... if only anonymous knows how advance you are! =)

Dilip Mutum said...

Now that you mention it, it's been quite sometime since I last went to that side of KL. Last time, I went, the blind guy was still there - playing the electronic organ with 2 other people accompanying him.

shsuya said...

oh my gawd.. that blind guy is still there ? I wonder if is still the same guy.... is he the one that looks like S Chee Beng ?