Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Cow Jumped Over The Moon And Ended Up Dead

After my cousin's engagagement (of which I do not have any photos since I gave everything to my cousin) we all went back to my uncle's place in Temerloh to celebrate Hari Raya Haji.

Most people in Singapore have at one time or another surely experienced seeing a goat being slaughtered in the mosques here but back in Malaysia, they prefer to slaughter cows. And it is nothing like the slaughtering of goats. Imagine the size of a typical cow and then imagine the huge man-strength needed to make it stay still for the slaughter. Even watching it can be nerve-wrecking. It takes highly skillfull men to "capture" and slaughter the cows and there have been incidents where the cows managed to escape and disappear completely. (My family should know. For two years running, the cows that were set aside for my family escaped and we had to make do with two puny goats instead.)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

As usual, there was an array of food for hari raya. And as usual too, all we did was gorge ourselves silly with food.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com LemangImage hosted by Photobucket.com Rendang
Image hosted by Photobucket.com KetupatImage hosted by Photobucket.com Sambal Satay
Image hosted by Photobucket.com Kuah LodehImage hosted by Photobucket.com Nasi Impit

Unfortunately since Wed was a working day, we all had to leave for home on the afternoon of Raya itself.

Oh and on another note, on the way to Temerloh, The Don stopped by a shop in JB to get more moassel for sheesha sessions with my cousins and uncles. He ended up buying a sheesha for himself too. It's very nice, with a blue glass vial and a woven Nargile pipe. Now he has joined the club and need not ask my uncles or cousins to bring theirs whenever we have a gathering. And he bought enough moassel to last the whole of 2006.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I just hope he won't get addicted to it.

4 comments:

naniz said...

hehe...ismail sms-ed hafiz abt the sheesha and i went "oh oh! she said too soon!"

oh yes, i went to msia once for aidiladha...n it's such a challenge to slaughter the huge cow!

Musang said...

and don't i just love to be a malay? lots of dishes... i would die if i don't get any at least once every couple of years.

love rendang ayam very much...

and the rashes afterwards.

Lisa said...

looks like Don's hooked. i can imagine him relaxing at home huffing and puffing away. :)

shsuya said...

mampus ... abis lah my sofa, curtain and everything else in the house.... bau strawberry dan apple !!!!

Musang, Yes I love the food too. If I were overseas during hari raya I think I'd cry thinking of all the food I missed. hehehe