Monday, February 14, 2005

Cashing In On Ignorance!!


Faster broadband speeds? Only for local websites

It all started when Starhub (formerly known as SCV) started offering Maxonline 3000Kbps on top of the 1500kbs they used to offer initially. Bundled with free gifts such as a free computer/printer/modem/digicam, many signed up for the supposedly faster connection, thinking it will mean they will fly on the cyber highway. Alas! It was merely a ploy, a dirty tactic to make u pay twice as much more each month, which with a contract of "continuous 24 months", totals to multiple times the price of the "free" printer/computer/modem/digicam you get.

And then they came up with an even bigger ploy --> 6.5Mbps broadband speed. Presumably the "Singapore's highest residential broadband speed" And then Singnet jumped on the "ignorance is bliss" bandwagon by offering 3500Kbps worth of broadband speed. AS IF!!! Thank god for people like Alfred Siew, Asst Editor of ComputerTimes to make known to the mostly IT-ignorant public the absurdity of such ridiculous claims.

As we all know the Internet is an international platform and surfing speed is largely dependant on the efficiency of the server the website is on, the contents of the site, the speed and efficiency of your computer and not just your connectivity speed per se. (same goes for downloading speed) Its crazy the way these telco market their products and mislead people into believing that with greater speed on the side of the ISP, surfing will be a flash.

So it has been proven now that these greater speeds only apply to local sites only. Apart from internet-banking and perhaps Asiaone, for the life of me, I cannot possibly think of any "local" site I'd like to visit. Local content, as far as I can recall, be it blogs of my schoolmates & friends, photos of past vacations or even shopping sites, have always been hosted by overseas servers. So tell me when would I be actually be "feeling" this 6000Kbps speed??? (hhmmmm ...perhaps I'd only appreciate it when I am transferring $$$ from The Don's account to mine!!! hehehe)

Lucky for me, I have The Don to keep me grounded. If not for him, perhaps I would also have succumbed to the many free gifts on offer, despite knowing the negligable speed difference. I guess it helps to know about IT and be aware of what is actually on offer rather than be guiled by the adverts alone.

3 comments:

Musang said...

Did you realize that today is a Valentine Day?

Valentine Day!!!!And as I don't have anyone to celebrate it with, would you mind hook me up with anyone nice you know so that I will be celebrating it with someone in future?

Lisa said...

hehehe... since when you became matchmaker online?

shsuya said...

hehehe Girl... everyone I noe who's nice is straight as an arrow and is busy chasing anything that is in a skirt and moves!!!

HHmm.... but I'll keep an eye n a ear open for u ok???