Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Food Tastes Soooo Much Better

It was a pleasant & an uneventful road trip to Temerloh, Pahang. We left immediately after work but the heavy congestion at Singapore checkpoint caused us to reach at exactly 2 am in morning.

The roads leading to Temerloh is very different from say to KL. We only take the North-South-Highway a quarter of the journey up to Yong Peng and then from there its narrow winding road all the way, especially at Triang. The roads there are what are termed "high risk and accident prone" as the roads are snaky and the bends are acute. It takes a skilled driver to maneuver these roads and even then at a slow speed.


We spent most of our time there visiting the elderly members of the family, basically "jalan pengantin". As expected they were very pleased to see us and they love the photos. Now we have a whole list of names and the corresponding photos they want a copy of. And of course the vcd.... we already made 4 copies of it to give to my close uncles and aunts. And now we have to make at least 4 more.

And we went to see my uncle's lovely lovely just purchased bungalow. The house is in its final stages, merely touch-ups and lighting fixtures and then they will be ready to move in. Its HUGE!!!! with an even bigger compound. The rooms are fairly large too and together with my uncle and aunt we sat down to discuss how to furnish the rooms. Oooh I feel like an interior designer!!! They really like the colour of the walls in our house and they found the exact shade to paint theirs. In fact the layout of their house is almost similiar to ours too except of course their house is way much bigger and hell of a lot cheaper!!!! Its just slightly more than half the cost of our house and its in RINGGIT MALAYSIA!!! (so technically it costs a quarter of our home!!) OOOhhh The Don and I would give an arm and a leg to have such a house in Malaysia. But we'll have to wait for 5 more years before the house can be sold. The Don took lotsa pics of their new house with his SLR but the film is yet to be developed.


And then on Saturday afternoon, my cousin arrived from KL and they brought 2 huge boxes with them. Apparently when my mother was in KL recently she purchased a whole 64 piece Luminarc Dinnerware set for me. It was really a huge surprise. I've always fancied Luminarc dinnerware instead of the oh-so-common Corelle collection. And I've been looing around for it forever but only Cargo Courts carry this brand and even then in loose pieces only. I've talked to the Courts Manager and he has promised to enquire if they could order the whole set just for me but to-date I have still not heard from him. I had half a mind to import directly the whole set from France this month and bear the shipping costs if I had to. And then came the surprise......

Ain't it lovely? The plates and saucers are made reflective glass ie. there's a extra layer of clear glass over the design and the plates are unscratchable, unbreakable, heat resistant and yet not heavy. OOhh I'm absolutely in love with 'em!!!! And I soooo love my UMI for knowing exactly what I want and getting it for me. Suddenly food tastes sooo much better on these plates... hehehehe

We arrived home just after Maghrib on Sunday night and proceeded to go to my PIL's for a kenduri tahlil in honour of The Don's maternal late grandfather. the event was actually after Zuhr but since we could not make it then, we came as soon as we could. If not for anything else, to help clean up. We know it means a lot to her that her sons and daughters-in-law turn up for her event no matter how late so we still made it a point to show up despite being exhausted from the long trip. And we were very quickly rewarded with Nasi Ambeng

Never in my life have I ever ate rice in such a manner, from a tray no-less and sharing with other people. (lucky I knew fairly well the other people sharing the tray with me, if not, NO WAY JOSE!!!) It was definitely a new experience for me. I'll just have to remember to chose who sits next to me the next time such food is served. hehehe

By the time we got home, all that was left of the weekend was for us to sleep.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

*faintz* so besok jadik ke tak?

naniz said...

ooooo...love ur luminarc dinnerware! me dinnerware-crazy..cargo n ck tang have fine dinnerware.

too bad..Cargo dun sell them in sets. n corolle is getting oh-so-boring and forever-flowery.

bestnya..all things nice in blue :p

where did ur mum get them...in KL?

naniz said...

btw gal, need copies of ur photos jugak. yg ada i lah...2 aje.

shsuya said...

Naniz....My mom got them from Akojaya in KL...they are the sole distributor for Luminarc dinnerware & Glassware in Malaysia... nanti lah eh I jadi their agent I bawak masuk Singapore plak ....then masa u all sume kahwin n ade rumah nanti I present kan .. hehehe

Pasal photos tu, sure no problem.... nanti I develop n pass to u ....

Musang said...

amboi....sedapnye nasik tue!!!

tapi macam nasi minyak plak tgk dua tiga kali..

is it?