Friday, March 04, 2005

"Noodles? ...No Thanks"



If there is one thing about my childhood that I would really like to leave behind is my eating style. (or rather lack of style!!) I can't help but make a mess when I eat. A morsel of food will inadvertently land on either the corner of my lips or worse, on my tudung. Every single time!!!

It's a real irritating situation especially when I'm at a formal reception and when I have a few places to go in a day. And especially so when its a light-coloured tudung!!!

Did you know that for the first two years I went out with The Don, whenever we dine out I will choose either bread or rice on the menu, never noodles. Noodles are my No. 1 disaster food. There was no way I could have managed to place the noodles nicely into my mouth (despite rolling it around my fork many many times) without the gravy ending up on my clothing. It was to such an extent, the ever-observant Don even enquired if I had an adverse reaction to noodles. hehehe

It seems despite all my efforts to make sure The Don do not see this side of me in the first few years of our blossoming romance, it was a furtile attempt. He somehow saw right through me when out of the blue he said he shall call me by the nickname "Comot". Imagine my embarassment!!! This was a guy to whom I have been trying my darndest to project a good impression upon and even sacrificed eating noodles in front of and then suddenly he showed that he knew all along what I have been hiding all this while. At that moment, I really felt like giving myself a good kick for not being more successful at hiding my faults. But at least now that it was in the open I could eat noodles whenever I felt like it again. And besides how long could I possibly hide it anyway.

I suppose you can guess the amount of jibes I have had to take from the Don and my family members. Especially when we go out with my nephew, Muhd Idris, someone without fail will offer me his bib. It has been offered so often it's almost a cliche by now.

But it does have its worthwhile points. Till today, whenever we eat out, The Don will arm himself with a tissue paper. Very subtly, before we leave the restaurant he will wipe off any excess from the corners of my mouth. And he does it so gently that I almost look forward to it. Its such a loving gesture I guess it's every bit worth the embarassment. And every single time, he plants a lingering smile on my lips.

But I still err on the side of caution.... Hardly will you ever catch me with a bowl of mee rebus, mee siam or anything with thick, coloured gravy. I avoid those like the plague!!!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

tak payah mee kuah... kasi jer delifrance croissant dah cukup.

idris makan comot mcm aunty die. heehee!

shsuya said...

hheehhehe Kak liza takpe makan tetap makn... i will comew prepared pakai baju merah tudung merah then bawak bib merah sekali (umah u sure da siap beli bib baby kan? pinjam je satu!!)..... hehehehehehheeh
mmg betul ilham dari butter crumble and our IM conversation......