Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Chef Don

On Sunday I was down with a high fever, horrendous flu and a bad case of sinusitis. My menu for the day was Western food extravaganza. I had plans to cook some steak, fish and chips and some breaded prawns but all came to naught when I could barely open my eyes and all I wanted to do was lie in bed.

My Don came to the rescue. He told me to stay in bed while he whipped up his specialty, Roti John. I had no idea he could cook and at first I was quite skeptical since he has never attempted cooking before. But then again, during our courting times, he ever did cook for me jemput jemput. But that was part of a dare. Still, I was impressed. The roti john my Don cooked was tasty. The meat portion was generous. And it wasn't too oily. I chipped in by making the sauce.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Even my mom agreed it was fantastic. Looks like if I decide not to cook, he won't go hungry right? For such wonderfully tasty roti john and his utmost consideration in not allowing me to cook in my state, I give him 5 stars. hehehehe
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The previous day, my mom went to the Bazaar Ramadhan at Woodlands and bought a few many many kuih. Among them was ondeh ondeh. As with most things bought, the ondeh ondeh came short of expectations. And seeing how The Don and I devoured the ondeh ondeh nevertheless, my mom decided to make some.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yummy yummy yummy. Unlike those commercial ones, the glutinous portion was just right (not too thick) and the gula melaka was generous. (unlike the miserly shops) We'll never be able to buy ondeh ondeh again knowing we have tasted the very best.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

wah... if Yan can cook, so can Don!

tengah bulan puasa ni, ur entry makes me drool. =P

shsuya said...

its not a kuih for demure girls.... once when I was 7, on the way back from the market with my mom on the bus, I ate the ondeh ondeh. I popped the whole thing inside my mouth and when i bit into it, the gula melaka squirted out of my mouth and hit the guy sitting diagonally from me who was wearing a WHITE SHIRT. hehehehheehhee

Lucky no one noticed...

Dilip Mutum said...

I have been cooking since my bachelor days and unfortuntely even after getting married as I stay away from my wife most of the time. Somehow there is a sense of satisfaction in cooking and your own food but it tapau when I don't feel like it.

naniz said...

wah...impressive. you can be "sick" all the time now. hehe...

Musang said...

wow. lucky you.

men with the ability to cook mean delicious food are hard to find. lucky lucky you.

i need to find someone who cook too for my only speacialities are mee maggi and air milo ais. dua tu je yang pandai buat.