Sunday, June 19, 2005

Birthday Of My Dreams

I still can't believe what a wonderful birthday I had. It was like a hollywood movie come to reality. It was surprises after surprises and just when I thought that was it, out came another surprise. It was definitely THE VERY BEST birthday I have ever had in my whole life.

I started celebrating on the Thursday, 16th June with my best friend Mahanom at Cafe Vienna @ Royal Scotts Hotel. The food was lovely as always and the company was of course, delightful. Birthdays are a bit of a festive occassion for M and I both and we try to do the same for our other friends. (although sadly they do not quite reciprocate but its ok we don't mind.)

My first surprise came very early on the mornin of my birthday.
My Dearest darling woke me up with a full breakfast tray he had lovingly prepared for me. Toast, eggs, a mug of piping hot milo and a couple of birthday kisses. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was a wonderful surprise so early in the morning and undoubtably the BEST breakfast I have ever tasted EVER!!!!

When I stepped into the office at 9.30am (late as usual) my colleagues broke into a birthday song for me. (a very off-key rendition) and started planning where to take me for my birthday lunch. We finally decided on Swensen's since I had already gone to Cafe Vienna (an office favourite) the night before and everywhere else was fully booked. Lunch was fantastic! I had Honey-Glazed Chicken, off their promotion menu and a quick verification of my NRIC earned me a Firehouse Sundae, on top of the Rasberry Crumble single scoop that came with my meal. Needless to say, the hours after lunch was spent trying to keep my eyes open.

2nd Birthday Surprise...
At 2.45pm, an elderly Indian chap walked into my office with a huge bouquet of flowers. My colleagues all went into a frenzy while my jaw dropped, speechless.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Beautiful didn't even begin to describe the bouquet. There were stargazer lilies and pink roses and did I say that it was HUGE!!!! It was from Mahanom, my dearest, bestest friend. On her birthday in January, I stopped by her office with a small bouquet of pink roses and a book, and here she was, returning the favour, twice in size, with that huge bouquet, delivered.

3rd Birthday Surprise
At 5pm, my dearest Don came to fetch me as usual. From his smirk and his cunning (but enchanting) smile I knew he had something up his sleeve but when I asked where we were going he said we were going home. He did drive towards Woodlands and for a minute I honestly thought we were gonna have a quiet romantic self-cooked dinner (he cook of course) at home but when he missed the expressway exit for home, I knew where we were going ----> Across the causeway. The Don was his usual teasing self, stopping at various stalls in JB and pretending to look for a place to park at Stulang and at the Pantai Lido stalls. I knew he was kidding. At the very least, he would bring me to a restaurant, not some open air stalls. Usually, an occasion like this would mean a lavishly romantic dinner But he drove by the roads leading to Puteri Pan Pacific twice without stopping and twice he drove by Hyatt Regency too. I was beginning to get worried. Suddenly on the third time driving on that street, he turned into Hyatt Regency Hotel, JB. A-Ha, I knew my dearest darling would only give me the best. What more on my birthday.

Thank god no photos were taken during my birthday dinner because if there were, you'd see my mouth literally water. I had mentioned in passing to THE DON a few weeks ago that it has been some time since we had seafood. I had even forgotten all about it but apparently he didn't. Hyatt Regency was having a sumptious buffet of BBQ seafood that night. And I ate to my heart's content. Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
There were prawns, crayfish, crab, fish, mussels etc etc. on top of the usual buffet spread of pasta, nasi lemak and Hyatt's delectable pastries and cakes. (the white choc mousse cake was to die for !!!) I must have gained 5kg from eating that one night alone. Image hosted by Photobucket.com

THE DON cautined to keep some space in my tummy coz he said he said he had something else for me later, but it was too late. I was already so full that anything else thru my lips would surely mean throwing up. When we were almost done and down to our last round of the buffet (fruits) The Don suddenly said he didn't have eough Malaysian Ringgit to tip the valet and would have to leave me for a while. As you can imagine I was quite curious about this because The Don is a meticulous man and usually has everything planned down to the minutest detail but I had no alternative explanation. Besides, I had nothing to suspect as I was sure he had revealed everything he had hidden in his sleeve for one night. But BOY was I wrong.

Final Birthday Surprise.
My darling husband came back to the table with a key card to a room upstairs. It took all my willpower not to scream in ecstasy and create a scene in that fine dining place. I was totally taken off-guard. The dinner was good enough as it is. The room was beyond my wildest imagination.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

After the euphoria, my immediate concern was clothes, naturally, but my dearest husband had it all worked out. He had packed 2 days worth of clothes for us both on the sly.

It was a beautiful room, with sea-view and a king sized bed. (Sea-View King, I believe the room is called) When we draw the curtains, all we see is an extensive view of the Johor Straits and the Dataran Bandaraya Clock Tower. Our room was right in the centre wing so a look down gave us this view.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com Lovely aint it?

Hyatt hotel rooms should be made strictly for married couples because there is no lock to the bathroom and the long bath has a window which opens up to the rest of the room. In essence, while in the bath, you will still get to enjoy the great view. And enjoyed it we did.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

In what was the finale to the surprises of the day, he produced a birthday cake for me.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I couldn't take anything down my throat any more but who said cakes are just for eating..???

It was truly, truly the best birthday I had ever had.

ps: Thanks guys for the birthday wishes, the e-cards and the actual cards.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Happy Belated Birthday! Your day sounded great! My hubby's birthday is next month and I am just thinking how fun it will be if I surprise him to that exact hotel room you went to.

shsuya said...

oh yes.... definitely. I'm sure he'd love it just as I did.

fadh said...

just randomly surfing around.. this entry was sooo sweettt!!(the part where ur husband surprised you)kinda renewed my faith in 'coupledom' for a while.. =)