Monday, June 27, 2005

Gentleman or "gentle" man?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Are you man enough to carry this bag??

If you had read The Sunday Times yesterday, you'd have read the article about men who carry their wives'/girlfriends' bag for them. Apparently some men, in the name of chivalry, go around town carrying their other halves' bags for them, no matter if its a huge carry-it-all or a dainty little furry carry-on. Interviews with some of these seemingly alien men unearth some very "logical" reasons as to why they subject themselves to such ridicule. Apparently they think its the gentle-manly thing to do and they want to "free their partners' hand so she can do other things". One guy even quip that since they have to hold hands, the girl doesn't have enough hands to hold her bag so he helps her to do so.

I almost choked on the gulp of Milo I was drinking readign these men's sorry excuses. Absurd dun' u think? I mean I'd understand if its a heavy load like those bags with baby's diapers + milk bottles + etc etc but a tiny little sequinned clutch bag? How heavy can it be? What has happened to men nowadays? Have their balls shrink to such an extent they cannot see they are slinging mud to men everywhere by their actions? And what the hell happened to all the girls' backbones (and brains)?? Have all the women liberation movement all been in vain? What would be next? Would the men wear their partner's cardigan when she takes them off to show-off her new spaghetti strap? After all with one hand needed to hold their partner's hand, and the other to hold her bag, there would be no hand left to carry the cardigan. And heaven forbid the girl should want to carry it herself because she would need both her hands "free".

Ok ok I know there is nothing wrong with being chivalrous. And yes, I love it too when my hubby opens doors for me and pulls out my seat. But surely chivalry has its limits too. Carrying your spouse's bag in the name of chivalry seems overboard to me. Sure there are times when even I ask my hubby to hold on to my bag like when i'm going to the loo or if I need to straighten my hair/make-up/shoe etc. But that's only for a brief moment and only out of necessity. I dun buy that crap about "it shows the guy is man-enough because he is willing to be seen in public with a ladies' bag" If that is the case why stop there? If it makes you a "BIGGER" man to be seen in public with a ladies' bag, then surely you will be an "ENORMOUS" man if you were seen in public with a ladies' G-String?

I'm damn glad my hubby is not the kind who would do ANYthing and EVERYthing in the name of chivalry. He is chivalrous in just the right amount (just right for me anyway) and I dun think I can look at my hubby in the eye the same way again if one day he would offer to carry my pink frilly handbag for me to "free" my hand.

5 comments:

monk said...

This is indeed an ENORMOUS man.

File this one under "be careful what you ask for".

lex said...

yeah, I don't think men should carry those little tote bags. and women should never expect them to do so too.

the skribbler said...

honestly, i dun see the big deal with it. if they carry, doesnt mean they are 'man' enough to do so or instead, render them unmanly to our eyes.

its just the thot of making the lady feel as comfy as she can.
i've never made any of my men do it but if they do, i wont think they are jeopardising their status as an alpha male. hehe...

Musang said...

are they crazy? men with pink frilly sequins handbags?!!

Ingatkan beg tangan nih aksesori orang perempuan.

Ish ish...Even as a gay man, I'm not gay enough to carry a handbag around town.

Dilip Mutum said...

I do sometimes carry my wife's bag but only if she is carrying Rahil.