Sunday, March 19, 2006

Childhood Revisited Part One


Enuff of rants for a while. Its time to get confessional. Inspired by the blog marathon master's post here are the 10 most poignant childhood moments of mine.

1. I was 5 and we were in KL for the usual school hols, staying at a hotel and visiting my uncle and aunt at their rented place at Kampung Melayu when it started to rain non-stop. Before we knew it, the water level rose before our eyes and slowly crept into the living room. That was my first ever experience with flood. I saw unmentionable things float by and for the first time, I felt insecure. I was upset and my parents and uncle and aunt were all not able to set things right for me. They were all upset too. That was my first ever experience with fear.

2. I was 7 and I accopmpanied my mother to her fortnightly salon appointment. While she was busy having her hair fashioned, I played outside the salon with a classmate who happen to lived just above the salon. When my classmate's grandmother came to fetch her, she invited me over to their place to look at her pet terrapins. Without batting an eyelid I said ok. When my mom finished her session, she looked high and low for me. The managress of the salon said she might have seen me leave with my classmate. She was about to take the lift up when I came strolling down oblivious of the hell I've created for myself. Needless to say I was dragged home and was given my very first introduction to the rotan. Lucky we never did became good friends.

3. I was 5 and my fav radio programme was Victor & Charlie Show on Radio One. You send a letter to them with your phone number. If you were selected, they would call you on the show and ask you a riddle. If you got it right, you'd get a prize. I so wanted to be on the show and finally got my chance. I still remember the riddle they asked me "What room has no windows?" I think I answered store room. Hahaha. Still I got the complimentary prize of 6 F& N glasses.

4. My dad, being a political journo, always got invitations to every govt-initiated event. One such event was the launch of the One People One Nation One Singapore theme in 1988 (if I'm not wrong) For the benefit of the news crew, I was asked to be camera-ed being interviewed by Mr Wong Kan Seng, the then Minister of Foreign Affairs. I think he asked me what was my national day wish for Singapore. I can't, for the life of me, remember what I answered. But I remember liking the way I look on tv. hehe

5. If you think I'ma shopaholic, you obviously haven't met my mom. Whn my mom shops, she seems in her own world. I used to get so frustrated keeping up with her that I used to wonder if she would notice if I were to go missing. I used to hide in the racks of clothes and leave her looking for me in circles. But once, when she was out shopping with my aunt and uncle from Malaysia and I did the same, she didn't come looking for me. When I finally came out of my hiding place, they were absolutely nowhere to be found. I went crying to the cashier who brought me to the security booth asking for an announcement to be made. When my mother heard, she came running and seeing me all teary and red-eyed, she laughed and asked if I ever wanted to hide again. No prizes for guessing my answer.

to be con't ......

No comments: