Friday, September 10, 2004

Leaving SingleVille


I've been thinking about this a lot. About leaving my single life and what I will be giving up. About how my social life (read: spending habits) will change and how I have to give up all my bad habits.

One thing I know for sure, I definitely won't have a lot of time. Weekdays will be a mad rush and weekends will be reserved for dearest hubby and attending whatever wedding and occasions we will by then start receiving invites for. (My mom says we'll have to start attending most (if not all) wedding invitations after we r married Uuurrghh!!!!) And with the house and added commitmments (read: BILLS!!!) there won't be much to spare shopping free-willy style, the way I have been doing ever since I officially became a part of the working world. No more Cafe Vienna dinners and Nine West shoes and diamond rings. (Not out of my own pocket but maybe out of my hubby's?????)

There will certainly be less occasions for me to go on my weekly girls' night out. Usually one day a week, my best friend Mahanom and I will meet for a quick dinner, and then proceed for major SHOPPING !!! And we don't usually leave till they switch off the lights!!! We've heard so many closing announcements at shopping centres, we could give you a review of which dept store has the best voice on their PA system. Hehhee. I'd still meet her no doubt, but perhaps not as frequent. With my other friend, Alisa, who usually drops by my place for a chill-out, the situation will most likely be similiar. Unless of course The Don goes for business overseas and then we'll have an all-girls party!!!!

The biggest change though won't be any of the above. It'd be me adjusting to having my own home and being responsible for my hubby's needs. I'd have to take care of both myself and him, his clothes, his food, his health etc etc. Not to mention taking care of the house. It used to be that if I didn't do it (eg: wash the dishes) the next person using the sink will (usually my maid) But now if I dun, there's nobody to pick up after me. If anything, I'd have to be doing the picking up after The Don. Despite me working, I fully intend to do everything on my own sans maid. I want to feel what it feels like being responible for My own home and doing everything myself. Ambitious you say ? I think so too but if my sisters can do it, I don't see why I can't. Just don't sue me if 6 months down the road, I change my mind and there is a "bibik" in my house. I do not intend to assimilate myself into today's culture of "dapur tak berasap". The Don prefers home cooked food so I'll try my darndest to make sure dinner is not merely out of the box but out of the piping hot pot. I guess such ambition will require co-operation from the hubby. Thank god The Don is very helpful around the house and don't mind helping out.

It's a hell of a lot of change for me - somebody who is used to being the baby of the family. (and still is) and used to having things done for her. Unlike some of my friends, I've never had to wash my own clothes or even cooked a meal for myself. If I did it at all it was because i wanted to on my own accord. If there's one thing I have always done for myself its ironing. Still, I look forward to being married and assuming all these responsibilities. It'll be another step in life for me (a natural one, I think) and a personal challenge to see how well and how fast I cope with these adjustments that I will have to make.

In any case, despite all that I will have to give up on and all that I have to reduce, I strongly feel that marriage is worth it all and more.

3 comments:

shsuya said...

SK,

Thanks a lot Man. Babies to feed??? hhmm... let's go slow ok.. lemme adjust to one thing at a time. I guess u're right. Marriage can be fun if you make it so, that's what most of my married friends say too. One thing I'm glad for though I've known The Don for quite a while. Imagine those ppl with arranged marriages, having to adjust to married life is quite hard as it is w/o the added stress of trying to get to know a stranger.

Wan Mohd Fahimi said...

cool it dude! yeah, i agree that it wont be the same once you get married. things wont be like it was before during your so-called prestigious bachelor years. as for me, there's no more late nights lepak with my hommies or my dudes at uptown, no more "aku takleh tido la, jom layan teh tarik kat kedai mamak", and most of all, no more ARS vs MU Super Sundays at bangsar or sportsunlimited with the guys and all, but hey... do i regret to not being able to do what i did during my times before i got married? NOPE!

whatever you left during your bachelor years would feel 100 times better when you do it with the one you love during your marriage years... with a different approach, of course! it's gonna be a bit tough at the start trying to adapting and all but sooner or later, you'll do fine. the most important thing is, understanding each other. every married couple wants their marriage to be a perfect one rite? every couple wants the happiness and passion they had for each other during their love birds years to remain and keep on nurturing. so, take this as a challenge to both of you.

yeah, there's no more late nights at uptown,... but there's late nites bedroom stories to share to make you understand more about each other, no more "aku takleh tido, jom layan teh tarik... but indeed there's "honey, let's do smthing crazy and take a drive to around the city... drive to BB and eat KFC at 2AM, late supper at Pro Jet... bla bla...", no more ARS-MU Super Sundays with the guys ... but there's whole loads of questions about HOW TO PLAY FOOTBALL to answer as you watch the game with your wife, or "was that a goal dear?" sorta questions... but hey, with MU keep on sucking and performing the way it is today, who needs Super Sundays?!!!!

so, stop sweating girl, you're gonna be just fine.
you're gonna go thru this and you're gonna enjoy every bit of it. best wishes!

Musang said...

you are getting married?

WOW!!! IT'S FUCKING GREAT!!!

anyway thanks for linking my blog to your site girl. and. uh. thanx for accepting me as your friend...i'm glad!

keep up the good work...and be a good housewife.

p/s: The Don is Handsome...