Thursday, September 23, 2004

Pretty Pontianak

When I was in Carrefour, Midvalley I chanced upon this cd ->


The Don and I looked al over for the bootleg copy when it first came out on screens but did not manage to find. Not in JB, KL or even Kuantan. I guess Malaysian nti-piracy policies must be working.

I dun usually fancy horror movies. I feel silly sitting down subjecting myself to hours of anxiety and working myself up to a frenzy. Its like giving yourself up to the butcher, then waiting silently for your turn to be slaughtered. Still, I was interested to watch this one. It was touted to be one of Malaysia's best films (a horror flick, notwithstanding) and that it achieved Best Cinematography, Best Music Best Director at the Film Este Pona Fantasi & Horor in Malaga, Spain.

So after watching it, it was good I guess. Although the story had so many holes it reminded me of Spongebob. And the post-pro editing was terrible. Lotsa clipped scenes from nowhere. Plot was shaky but very interesting. I know this story came out in screens like in July so I guess u guys would know this better.
  • Who the hell is Maria? daughter? granddaughter? or just mere descendant?
  • Why did Madame Pontianak wait a whole 60 years before she made a comeback ? Was she hibernating ?
  • And lastly what in the world is the necessity of Marsani going through plastic surgery ?

    Still the movie was a good watch (despite the Don and I turning to look at each other every few minutes puzzled by the sucession of scenes) And Maya Karin is oohh soo pweeety.



    And as for the scandalous title, "Sundal Malam" is actually the name of this flower

    otherwise known as the TUBEROSE. Hahahhaha to those of you who thought it was sumthing else.
  • 2 comments:

    Amiruddin Karim said...

    Lucky you. You managed to watch that movie. I haven't seen it yet till now. Not even PGL. The last local movie I watched was Senario : Lang Buana. Which was directed by Mamat Khalid who also one of the man behind PGL. Trust me, I came in with no expectation over the movie and came out with a total different view. Lang Buana is not even close to any Senario movie before. This one is way much better.

    shsuya said...

    Altho Pontianak HSM is nowhere near Hollywood horror movies (nearer to Bollywood horror actually)I'm very proud of the Malaysian film industry we have certainly gone far from the likes of 'Isabella' & 'Azura' to this pontianak movie and more recently PGL. I guess the only way from here is UP so lets give them all the support we can (That means no more bootleg copy for me too!!!)