Saturday, September 25, 2004

My New Best Friend

From this day on, if you see me online or meet me on the streets, speak Malay to me ok?? My Malay is sooo rotten I dunno how in the world I managed to get a distinction in Malay at O levels and a reasonably good grade in 'A' level Malay. Its like my brains just jam up (LITERALLY!) when I need to find the Malay equivalent of an English word. I've always had this problem whenever I converse with my elder aunts and uncle's in Malaysia (my aunts n uncles in Singapore speak Malay just as horribly as I do) but it has never been so severe (ot at least I never realised its severity) till last week when I started vounteering to translate and digest (rewrite it into a digest not the kind you swallow and digest) Syariah Court Judgments and MUIS appeal cases into English for the Singapore Academy of Law. I chanced upon their ad for volunteers and kinda jumped at the chance. Its something I enjoy (or so I thought) playing around with language and getting a chance to read all the sob stories.(some on the borderline of morbid). If you think I'm doing it for the money, you've got to be joking. The honorarium (It is after all a VOLUNTEER thingy) is too small an amount to mention but at least the experience will look good on my CV.

So right now my bestest friend in the world is this I bought this like 7 years ago, I think... when I entered JC and needed to know more "cheem" Malay words but I think I've made use of it all of 5 times since I got it. Well if not for this thing, it'd have remain under utilized.

No comments: