Friday, July 23, 2004

HALFWAY THERE


Yesterday, exactly on the 150th day (the earliest day they would allow us to register) before the date of our nikah, we went to down the ROMM to register our marriage. Just the three of us, The DOn, myself and my eldest brother (a.k.a my BOSS). It was such a long wait waiting for our turn to be interviewed. And when it was our turn, it was over even before we knew it. First, The Don went in on his own, and barely 2 minutes later it was my bro's and mine turn. The Registrar Nor Razak hardly asked us any questions other than the usual "Have you been married before?" "Have you been forced into this marriage?" like questions. The best part was when at the end of it he actually told my brother "Tahniah Tuan Syed, anda dapat adik ipar" I could not control myself and cackled a laughter. For a moment it felt like we were in a lucky draw and he was congratulating my brother on winning a new car or something. Lucky I caught myself in time before I burst out into a raucous laughter.
As we walked out of ROMM, The Don and I exchanged glances and congratulatory smiles at having passed yet another stage in our relationship.

We didn't consciously feel it but as we sat down to watch TV after dinner at my place that night. Umi commented that she had never seen us happier than we were last night. Hmm.....

2 comments:

Lisa said...

CONGRATULATIONS! WOOHOO!

shsuya said...

Tengkiu .. tengkiu ....