Wednesday, July 14, 2004

What's In A Name?


If you enjoy literature as much as I do, I'm sure you'd remember these famous words by Shakespeare
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet"
- Romeo and Juliet Act II Sc II

Actually, lots of things are in a name and while the rose will smell just as sweet, no one would want to come near it in the first place.

Like what our prophet once said,
Sabda Rasullah S.A.W bermaksud ;
"Sesungguhnya kamu akan diseru pada hari kiamat dengan nama-nama kamu dan nama-nama bapa kamu. Maka indahkan nama kamu itu."
-Riwayat Abu Daud

I think a name is very important. If your name means something horrid in arabic, imagine later dipadang mashyar how will you be called ??

I'm sure glad my name is what it is. Apparently there is a very distant relative who has a similiar name and she is very intelligent and pretty. So my aunt suggested the name to my dad. My dad kinda liked the name but he took it to the Saudi Arabia Ambassador to Malaysia for confirmation of the meaning. (My dad was a political journalist so most of the ambassadors were shoulders rubbing friends) He found out that to fully have the intended meaning, the spelling should be with an "i" in the middle, the way my name is spelled. Otherwise it will have a different meaning. Oh by the way, my name means bright constellation.

Anyway for my dear friend Acidrain who will be welcoming his bundle of joy soon. I wish you best of luck in finding and choosing that all-elusive name. Don't know how much of this is true but the old folks like to say don't give a name that is too heavy a burden for the child to carry. (as in naming him a name that translates to "The Great" or something) And heres a link for the names that you should avoid giving your child. Nama Nama Di-Larang

Have fun choosing......

1 comment:

Wan Mohd Fahimi said...

thanx shsuya... still working on the name though. it's just a matter of mix n match actually. went to the book stores and stuff but i end up going thru the same kinda name lists sama cam the books we have at home. i guess all the books tu sama jer. thats why i finally end up tanya all my friends n relatives for other names in their mind. out of the book thinking, thats what i'm talking about... haha, ok got a training in 5 sec... take care.