Saturday, July 10, 2004

Kiddy TV


Typing this while watching my handsome prince of a nephew watch his newest Barney vcd. Don't you think kids nowadays have it so lucky? I mean they just have sooo much to see and watch and do. I remember when I was a child I only had my toys. (ok I had a lot of toys) but after a while I grew bored of them and didn't have anything else to play with. I was the only kid in the house (I'm the youngest & all my siblings are much older)And I remember feeling bored a lot, especially in the mornings and early afternoon. I used to mop around the house bugging whoever I could bug (usually my mom) with my endless questions. There were kids in the neighbourhood but they played kinda rough so dainty precious me didn't like playing with them.

TV didn't start till after 3pm and sometimes I used to stare at the colourful squares on TV, counting the many lines I see.

Now with cable tvs, cartoons are on 24/7. Just last week, Muhd Idris got up from his nap at 11pm, promptly took the remote control, put in my hand and said "Cartoon??" He spent the next half hour watching Bananas In Pajamas on Disney Playhouse Channel. Lucky Brat you!!! In my time, at that god-forsaken hour I had to watch whatever my parents were watching and when the kiss-kiss scenes came one, I was banished into the room.

And back then, there wasn't any computers to play games on. Now, even my nephew who is setahun jagung (literally!!) knows how to play the games on the internet. (He loves the games on Barney.com) To play games I had to wait till my sister came home from work at 6pm. Or when my other sister (who was in nursing school & stayed in a hostel) came back for the weekends. Even then our games were those "masak-masak" and "makcik pergi pasar" type of games with rubber bands cut into small pieces to represent mee (noodles), small pieces of paper to represent rice and plasticine made fish and fork and spoon. Those were the days....

Sometimes I wondered how kids today will turn out with so much tehnology in the things they do. And just what kids in the future (a.k.a my own kids) will play with. Virtual reality maybe ??

No comments: