Tuesday, July 13, 2004

PHOBIAS

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I always have this recurring dream....

I am going down a menancing looking staircase. I am fearful of slipping and I clutch the handle tight and take slow thoughtful steps. Suddenly something at the foot of the stairs catches my attention. I lose concentration for a split second then my feet slipped, and I roll down the stairs.

...And I wake up with a jerk. Or at the very least an involuntary spasm of the leg.

It comes most often when I am not yet fully asleep. Probably as I hover between the conscious and the sub-conscious. And usually after this happens, it will take a while before I can make myself calm enough to sleep again. Sometimes it occurs even when I am wide awake. Usually when its the first time I go down an unfamiliar flight of stairs. I get "visions" of me rolling down the stairs.

And I absolutely abhor overhead bridges with those tiny steps with those gaps in between. They are a life hazard, I tell you!!! When I have no choice but to go up or down one, I'd hold the handle for dear life and cease all other things I am doing to concentrate fully on putting my feet carefully on the steps. That means I'll end all conversations on my mobile and stop conversing with the person I am walking with before I negotiate the steps. Weird, I know!!

Ok anyway a quick research on the internet gives a name to my condition. I'm somewhere in between a
Bathmophobia - Fear of stairs or steep slopes. (I thot this one was fear of baths)
and a
Climacophobia - Fear of stairs, climbing, or of falling downstairs.

Apparently its a common recurring dream, this fear of falling down. According to some "dream experts", dreams of yourself falling is a fear of failure. According to the same site having a staircase in your dreams "symbolizes change and transformation." Perhaps its a fear of my soon-to-be new status and fear of falling short of the many many responsibilities that comes with it. I don't really know. I mean I don't exactly feel the stress consciously but I guess its there in the sub-conscious.hhhmmmm....interesting huh?

Check it out and many other phobias here

No comments: