Monday, August 23, 2004

BABY BOOM???

I was quite surprised by last night's National Day Rally. Though the 5-day week has been rumoured since last week, its the attitude presented by Singapore's new PM that surprised me most. PM Lee seems earnest about changing the whole aptitude towards family life, not merely increasing the population. The 5-day week, longer maternity leave, reimbursement of medical expenses, the reduction in maid levy, more baby bonus, more teachers in schools, the reduced syllabus in schools etc etc...I'd say it's a damn good package. Especially for a first time NDP Rally by the new PM.

And personally, I'd say Hurrah!! because these changes would especially be relevant to The Don and me, especially in the next few years. (Assuming which we do not decide to migrate and have our kids elsewhere) I especially like it when PM Lee mentioned the burdening school load of kids nowadays. I'm glad the Powers That Be in this "red dot" island realise that the schools in Singapore now bears more resemblance to a pressure-cooker than a centre for education. I do not have first hand info on this (by virtue of me having left formal school eons ago and not having contact since) but experience and observations on my nieces and nephews is enough to make me go down on my knees and thank God I was not born in the 90's. They are virtually bogged down with schoolwork everyday. Coupled with co-curiculum activities and madrasahs and Quran-reciting class, they usually finish homework at 10++pm just in time to sleep and wake up the next day for another cycle. I remember with fondness how I used to finish all homework AND revision latest by 8pm and then it was TV time right up till bedtime!!!!! Those were the good ol' days...








1 comment:

Lisa said...

yep yep! paling best kalau skolah pagi. macam bleh conquer satu dunia!