Friday, August 06, 2004

I Shall Always Remember.....

Ok Enough of stories about the house and the upcoming wedding for the time being. The stress is really getting to me and I have been very short-fused these past few days. I think the stress must be getting to The Don too. We seem to nitpick on each other of late. It sure ain't easy trying to prepare for our wedding while at the same time trying to prepare our house. Even though we have made ample preparations and thought we had had all areas covered, there are so many nitty gritty things that never crossed our minds but are yet very important. We both knew it was getting too much when we could hardly start the day without getting on each other's nerves. So we decided to forget all about the wedding or the house and just enjoy each other's company. We have quite a number of VCD's still unwatched so we're gonna take a time-out from the wedding preparations and just enjoy some couple time.

I just heard over the radio this morning on the way to work that this National Day will be the last event to be held at the national stadium. Then they will tear it down and build a new & supposedly bigger one. For a moment I remembered the times I was at the stadium. No, not for football matches but the times I was in the school band and we performed at the National Stadium. Every two years, our band will enter the Display Band Competition. And though every year its the same bands that join, each band will come up with new formations and songs and each band will compete aggressively for the much-coveted Gold medal and the $10,000.00 Best Band award.

It's a such a great feeling performing at the National Stadium. Its an electric feeling looking up to the stands seeing so many people. And we would always look out for our supporters in the stands, friends and ex-members of the band who come prepared with drums, banners, flags and cheerleaders screaming out cheer after cheer in our support.

Bye Bye National Stadium

One of our practice seasons.

The actual Band Comp Year 1996. Look at the crowd!

Many memoried were etched at the National Stadium for me. I have shed many tears too there for the years we did not manage to win the Best Band award. We used to spend endless days practising after practising at the National Stadium. And when the actual day came, our hearts will beat so hard, we could hardly hear our bass drummers. In fact, everytime we drive past the National Stadium, memories of the band competition will fill my heart. The National Stadium will forever be to me, a special place close to my heart.

It's hard growing up and seeing things which mean something to you slowly being replaced by other buildings. One other place that has been replaced is the Mcdonalds at Choa Chu Kang Interchange. There used to be a Mcdonalds outlet just outside the interchange (now its a 24-hours foodcourt) which BPGHS students used to frequent after school. This was also the place The Don and I had our first date. (yup after school go dating hehehe) As we grow older there'll be many other buildings that hold memories for me being demolished and replaced. I guess it's just a part of development and a part of life. After all you don't exactly need the physical building to be reminded of your past experiences. Once it has been inscribed in your memory and heart, I guess it will always be there.

No comments: